5 Best Drum Sanders: Reviews and Buyers Guide
Walts DIY is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
If you are looking for the best drum sander on the market, this blog post is for you! We have taken all of your research and condensed it to present 5 of the top sellers in this category. You will find reviews with pros and cons, as well as a buyer’s guide that may help you make an informed decision about which one is right for you.
For those who plan to make tables, cabinets, and cutting boards, a suitable drum sander can be hard to find. But worry not! Our reviews of these products will help you out.
How do I choose a Drum Sander? What are some essential features of this type of tool? How much should one cost? Our team has answered these questions, and we encourage everyone interested in buying one themselves read through our buyer’s guide before deciding whether or not to purchase a drum sander.
Here’s what we cover in this best drum sander review article:
- First, we compare our top 5 picks side-by-side in a comparison table. Perfect if you are short on time
- Next, we look at the top features and benefits of each model we think you’ll find useful
- Then, we explore their drawbacks you should know about
- And finally, our buying guide will give you a greater insight into the product range so you can choose the right model for your needs.
Best Drum Sander | Comparison Table
CLICK any image to see Ratings & Reviews on Amazon
|Top||Powermatic PM2244 Drum Sander, 1-3/4HP, 115V (1792244)||Buy Now||4.9 / 5 (Best Overall)|
|JET JWDS-2244, 22-Inch Drum Sander With Stand (723540OSK)||Buy Now||4.8 / 5 (Best Value)|
|SUPERMAX TOOLS Drum Sander with Stand, Built-in Digital Read Out, Patented Quick Lever Adjustment and Turbo Vented Dust Port - Model 16-32||Buy Now||4.7 / 5|
|WEN 65911 10.5-Amp 10-Inch Drum Sander with Rolling Stand and Variable Speed Conveyor||Buy Now||4.6 / 5|
|Grizzly Industrial G1079R - 16" 2 HP Drum Sander w/Rubber Conveyor||Buy Now||4.5 / 5|
Best Drum Sander | 5 Reviews
1. Powermatic PM2244 Drum Sander (Best Overall)
- This 1.75HP single drum sander uses 80 grit sandpaper and is for those who want to make their long days at the shop a little less boring. The high-powered motor that comes with plenty of torque provides more than enough power to expediently cut through your workpiece and turn it into a beautiful piece of wood.
- With 37 1/2 inches worth of support, you won't have to worry about any kickbacks knocking your work away from the 22-inch sanding drum. It has a feed logic system that monitors the drum motor and regulates the speed of the belt sander conveyor motor automatically to conserve energy. Storage is provided in this closed stand, which includes storage for keeping your abrasives organized.
- This is the ultimate sanding machine. It doesn't matter if you are a professional carpenter, or just starting out in your garage, with this drum sander you'll be at the top of your game. The heavy-duty cast-iron base can handle some serious abuse and it rides on integrated casters so you can move it around with ease. In an emergency, the stop button ensures quick shutoff.
- The Powermatic PM2244 Drum Sander has a distinctive, ergonomic design that takes your flow efficiency to the next level. The integrated LED control panel displays power usage and conveyor belt speed, as well as DRO settings to ensure everything is within range without being obtrusive. Use the large chrome handwheel for perfect drum sanding height adjustment with a minimal amount of force required.
- The Powermatic PM2244 1720RPM drum floor sander is great for sanding down large surfaces of wood. It's one of those machines you won't find very often in an amateur woodworker setting, but pro craftsmen love it because they can get incredible control over their materials.
- You don't need to be an expert to figure out how to use this machine; it includes extension tables, handwheels, and brackets with your purchase.
2. JET JWDS-2244 (Best Value)
- Weve all seen the high-profile drum sanders that seem to take hours just to sand one side of a board. Can you imagine how long it would take if you had two or more boards piled up?
- Of course, there is always the option of using an orbital sander and we think that's best when taking on smaller projects - but when it comes to larger jobs, nothing compares with a top-of-the-line wide belt sander like the 1.75 HP JET JWDS-2244 22!
- The Sandsmart speed control continuously monitors the load so you can focus less on speed and more time sanding. No need for tools, the tool-less adjustments prevent crowning and are simple as turning a dial until it matches up with an even parallel surface.
- The Jet JWDS-2244 planer model is able to glide smoothly and powerfully. With dynamically-balanced extruded aluminum on a precision machined drum that dissipates heat, this 22 diameter sander is precise. The dust hood has an integrated channel that directs the debris through a 4 port for easy workflow without slowing down.
- The JET drum sander provides easy, accurate sanding with sealed ball bearings. The efficient design means the aluminum drum self-cools and new to this product is a feed system that also benefits from this design. The motor has been designed for separate conveyor speed control of feed and drum - meaning better performance all around.
- The compact size means it can be easily stored as well as transported, making for quick operations in difficult-to-reach places where larger models just don't fit no matter what you try.
- The JET benchtop drum sander (bench included) will provide you with all the fine control and speed you could ever hope for. Super high-quality steel conveyor bed and variable feed rate up to 10 feet per minute mean that you can choose the perfect feed rate no matter what project you're working on, while the integrated on/off switch and variable speed control knob make operation easy as pie.
3. SUPERMAX TOOLS Drum Sander (Model 16-32)
- A staple item in any production facility, the 16-32 SUPERMAX TOOLS Drum Sander is ideal for sanding down materials on a factory level. With heavy-duty construction and large dimensions - 32 in width max and 4 maximum height - this machine can accommodate even larger pieces of material that need to be smoothed out before being loaded up.
- The Laguna Supermax 16-32 is no ordinary drum sander. This drum sander features a Quick Lever Adjustment technology which allows users to adjust from 0 - 3 in. with one pull of the lever versus 48 revolutions of a hand wheel, making set up time much shorter and increasing productivity compared to other machines on the market!
- SuperMax is constantly striving for innovation and commitment to their loyal customers, which is evident in the newly designed Turbo Vented Dust Port that increases CFM airflow by 15%. A highlight feature of this unit is its simple alignment - simply adjust one nut and you will have a parallel conveyor and sanding head.
- The new SUPERMAX line changes everything--the closed drum sander (Model 16-32) is perfect for narrow and wide stock alike. You got your index setting to save the day for when you need to move back to those bulky boards that are now wider than 16 inches...pure-cut adjustment for any situation!
- Thanks to a bolted down carriage preventing any movement or alignment issues, so much of what makes this tool frustrating has been eliminated!
4. WEN 65911 Drum Sander
- Finally, a sanding machine that is just as smart and fast as you are! You're always looking for a good challenge; it's how we grow. This WEN 10 1/2 amp drum sander gives you the power to take on any challenge without slowing down or missing key details like that patch of sapwood popping out beautifully from the otherwise dull surface of the wood.
- The variable speed conveyor belt feeds projects anywhere from 0-10 feet per minute at up to 1440 rotations per minute so you can keep precise control over your work and this spacious table accepts pieces anywhere from 3/4 to 9 1/2 wide and 1/4 to 3 thick.
- The built-in vacuum system captures dust and debris before it has a chance to make your work surface look like the aftermath of an explosion. The WEN is also so easy on your hands with its ergonomic design, which includes a convenient handle for pushing heavy pieces across the table.
- The included 80 grit drum sandpaper makes quick work out of tough materials, while its 5-inch wheels allow you to move this tool around easily on smooth surfaces. With a two-year warranty, this product has everything you need!
5. Grizzly Industrial G1079R Drum Sander
- The Model G1079R features a high output 2 HP, TEFC drum motor capable of turning two 6 drums at 2100 surface feet per minute. A 1/4 HP, single-phase motor powers the sanders chain-drive conveyor mechanism.
- Unlike its big brother though, the 16 double drum sander is a smaller size that allows for more precision while you are sanding. This model comes equipped with three tough pressure rollers and two 4 dust collection ports and stand.
- This industrial belt sander offers a 2HP and 2100 FPM of drum rotating surface speed to make quick work of larger sanding needs. With a stock capacity up to 15-3/8 wide by 3-1/2 thick, this machine is an excellent choice for processing a lot of material in one go.
- The 1/4 HP dedicated conveyor belt motor also runs at 11 FPM, making the rubberized belt grip more securely on your wood or metal pieces for precision and less slippage. This innovative approach keeps down the amount of dust that circulates within the workshop area while simultaneously ensuring minimal maintenance headache with its user-replaceable belt features!
- This industrial sanding drum kit is built tough with a V-belt main motor and chain drive feed motor and includes a free stand that provides easy portability.
- Lightweight aluminum 6 dual drum produces powerful finishes every time, without any rubber facings that can fill up with material during use - your equipment stays clean and ready to work from project to project. Connections are simple thanks to leadscrew table stability; simply adjust the height as needed so that the desired surface is reached quickly and smoothly.
Video: How to Use a Drum SanderBuy on Amazon
Best Drum Sander Buyers Guide
If you are in the market for a drum sander, look no further than our “best of” list. We have taken into account both cost and quality when putting together this collection so that it is sure to fit your needs!
Finding the best drum sander for you is a critical decision. They save time, but sanding can become an unpleasant chore when done by hand. When it comes to finding your perfect match, there are some important considerations:
If you are a hobbyist or only plan to use your drum sander occasionally, dust collection may not be as important. However, if you will be using it regularly, make sure that the one you choose has an easy and efficient way of collecting all of the fine particulates generated from sanding.
Dust is inevitable for a woodworker. You can’t avoid it, and the best way to keep it at bay is with an electric dust collector that connects directly to your drum sander via a hose. If you don’t have one, make sure you get one because, without proper equipment, this means long hours of sweeping away all those pesky particles, which will turn into serious health hazards over time if not eliminated quickly!
The dust from a drum sander can be hazardous if inhaled. Depending on the model, Drum sanders will always have an exhaust hose attached that should connect to one of your shop’s machines for sucking up all the wood shavings and dust.
The most common type is called an electric vacuum cleaner or “dust collector.” These machines are designed specifically to suck all the debris from sanding and prevent it from damaging your workpiece or covering everything else around you.Buy on Amazon
The sander you choose depends on your project. If you are working with thin wood or making guitars, a more expensive sanding machine is recommended that can go down to 1/32″. However, if your work only needs the surface of 8″ square pieces and doesn’t need any special attention paid to its thickness, then an affordable option will do just fine.
The older machines have manual lever knobs to make the necessary adjustments and measurements. The latest models come fully equipped with a digital display, and these high-tech ones offer self-regulating feed tables, digital measuring, and more precision but for a price tag that’s higher than those in the past.
However, it is not uncommon for someone who knows their stuff to use an old-fashioned analog sander, especially if they are on a budget! Where the onboard computer system comes into its own is speed and accuracy. Without years of experience behind them, getting quality and achieving consistent results are more accessible with a digital display and automatic setting features. Just bear in mind that this extra feature comes with a hefty price tag.Buy on Amazon
Ease of changing sandpaper
This cannot be understated! A drum sander is a reasonably simple machine where a strip of sandpaper is wrapped around a rotating drum, and the wood is then run along a conveyor belt where it makes contact with the sandpaper. However, sandpaper doesn’t last forever, and it will need changing. Some machines make this a quick and straightforward process, whereas with others, it’s nothing short of an ordeal, and you’ll quickly get frustrated and dread using it!
Would you please ensure you check how the model works before buying it? A helpful tip is to Google the brand and model number with “specs,” and either the complete user manual is available for download, or you can read the full technical specifications on their website.
Drum sanders are great for taking off thin or medium thicknesses of material. You should not ask these machines to take large, thick shavings as they may shut down in the attempt and cause damage to themselves. Drum sanders self-regulate their feed rate when struggling with a board so that it does not become overloaded and turn off during use.
Drum sanders are great for taking off thin or medium thicknesses of material. It would help if you did not ask these machines to take large, thick shavings as they may shut down in the attempt and cause damage to themselves. Drum sanders self-regulate their feed rate when struggling with a board so that it does not become overloaded and turn off during use.
To avoid this problem, pay a bit more for a powerful motor and auto-feed rate.Buy on Amazon
Feed rate is the speed at which wood or other material passes through a machine. Drum sanders are no exception to this rule, and they also have their feed rates that vary depending on how powerful of a motor it has.
As you control the feed rate, your cutting depth can range from a shallow cut to deep cuts. Some models allow for manual adjustments depending on how fast or slow you want it to go, but newer models will automatically adjust and speed up as needed.
The feed rate of a cutting machine is an essential factor when determining the quality and duration of your work.
Dimensions and weight
The size of a drum sander is essential too. You want to make sure that it can handle your material and not bog down as you work through them, so consider what type of wood or other materials you’ll be working with when deciding on which model meets your needs best.
Some models are lightweight, while others have a heavier weight. Some are designed for home use, while others will be more industrial and meant to be used by professionals in a workshop or production facility.
If you’re looking to buy a new drum sander, some things can make your life easier. One of the most critical features is if it has wheels already attached. This way, when not in use, you need to slide it where needed!
Some models come with casters or allow for adding but have limited mobility. In contrast, other sanders don’t offer either option, which may be more desirable in an industrial setting where the workshop has a fixed layout.
It’s also worth noting whether wheel attachment comes as an integrated feature vs. an optional add-on because this might change the price too–especially since many people install their casters at home anyway due to cost.
Regardless, these machines are cumbersome, and so you must read the instruction manual for safe handling.Buy on Amazon
Warranty is a significant consideration for any purchase, and this is especially true when you’re buying an expensive tool that’s not mobile. There are many options to choose from, but the best coverage will always be found in the more well-known brands.
Most drum sanders come with a 2-year warranty, but some up to 5 years from the point of purchase. It’s essential to read the small print on contracts, so you do not get caught in a loop of emailing the manufacturer only to be told you must return the machine at your cost or that the broken part you need isn’t covered!
A good quality drum sander will be designed to last for years, but inevitably there is a chance of something going wrong. It’s always worth checking that spare parts are readily available before you buy – when they’re not or too expensive, it can end up costing more in the long run!
Some manufacturers offer spares packages, and these usually work out cheaper than buying individual parts. It’s worth checking before you buy.Buy on Amazon
Drum Sander FAQ’s
Why do you need a drum sander?
You can use a drum sander to sand the edges and faces of many surfaces, including wood and plywood. Many different finishes are possible with a drum sander which makes it perfect for furniture or craft projects and more traditional jobs such as making doors and window frames! Drum sanders also have adjustable thickness levels, which makes them suitable for a vast range of tasks.
What is a drum sander used for?
You can use the drum sander for many different tasks. A drum floor sander is a heavy-duty machine designed to obliterate multiple layers of wood as well as any varnish, giving you a new surface for refinishing. If your job requires the removal or sanding down on solid wooden floors, then this tool will be right up your alley!
What else will you need for your drum sander?
The cost of the drum sander will include a lot more than just the machine itself. For instance, you’ll need to purchase sandpaper for it to work! The type and weight of your paper are determined by what kind of job you are doing with the drum sander; some tasks might require heavy-duty sheets, while others don’t need anything more than a few sheets of 220 grit paper.
You may also need to purchase a stand, bench, caster wheels, and a dust extraction system, as not all models include these as standard.
The Powermatic PM2244 has a feed logic system that will adjust the speed based on your drum motor so you can complete your project in no time and be able to store all of the equipment needed for it right within arm’s reach. Conveniently enough, it also comes with integrated casters that make moving it from place to place as easy.
The JET JWDS-2244, 22″ Drum Sander With Stand is the ultimate addition to any workshop. It’s a belt-driven machine with an integral dust hood and an extruded aluminum drum that dissipates heat, allowing for efficient use of the tool. The drum has a 4 inch port for convenient access when collecting debris from sanding operations.
If you’re looking for a quality piece of equipment that will increase productivity in your workplace, look no further than this powerful sander!
With the correct information, you can purchase a drum sander that fits your needs. The buyer’s guide reviews five different sanders to help match you with the best machine for your budget and specific market. You may have found this article because you’re looking for more information on how to buy a drum sander or if there are any other factors in purchasing one as well.
The information in this article should be enough to guide you through making an informed decision when it comes time to purchase one of these essential items. Let us know if there is anything else you need!
Here are some other articles you may like:
Jointer Vs Planer | Which One is Right for Your Needs?
10 Best Electric Hand Planers | Honest Reviews & Buying Guide
DEWALT DW735 Vs. DW735X – How to Quickly Spot The Difference
Here are our favorite Benchtop Planers
CLICK any image to see Ratings & Reviews on Amazon
|Top||DEWALT DW735X||Click Here||4.9 / 5|
|WEN 6552T||Click Here||4.7 / 5 (Best Value)|
|Grizzly Industrial G5851Z||Click Here||4.8 / 5|
|DEWALT DW734||Click Here||4.7 / 5|
|Makita 2012NB||Click Here||4.6 / 5|
|Morphon Thickness Planner||Click Here||4.6 / 5|
|POWERTEC PL1252||Click Here||4.5 / 5|
|CRAFTSMAN Benchtop Planer||Click Here||4.4 / 5|
|Porter-Cable PC305TP||Click Here||4.4 / 5|
- How to Select the Best Drill Bit For Your Project - November 29, 2021
- The Benefits of Leaf Blowers for Yard and Garden Maintenance - November 15, 2021
- The Best Paint Stripper for Concrete | Reviews and Buying Guide - November 12, 2021