Walts DIY is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
Let’s say you’re a contractor and you need to power some cordless tools around the house. Which Ryobi battery charger would be better?
A lithium-ion battery powers the best cordless Ryobi tools, but the device doesn’t usually come with a battery, let alone a charger. All is not lost, though, because Ryobi offers a choice of battery chargers, and two of the most popular are their P117 and P118 charger models. Now, you may be thinking, why has Ryobi produced two models that appear to do the same thing on the face of it? Well, there are some subtle differences in what they do and how they do it, and we’ll explore these so you can decide which one is right for your needs.
Here’s an overview of what we cover in this Ryobi P117 vs. P118 charger article:
- First, we explore the features and benefits of both models we think you’ll find handy
- Next, we tell you about their drawbacks we believe you should know about
- Then, we tell you what the differences are between the P117 and P118 charger models
- And finally, we’ll provide a sample of real customer reviews to give you a better insight into the product’s overall performance and reputation.
Sound good? Let’s get going!
CLICK any image to see Ratings & Reviews on Amazon
Ryobi P117 Charger Review
This is a One+ 18V Lithium-ion and NiCad battery charger that you can get as a standalone purchase. Let’s explore the Ryobi P117 battery charger’s main features and benefits.
This product comes with a charging fuel gauge that allows you to monitor your battery charging progress. With this, you can estimate the hours or minutes left for a full battery charge.
The Ryobi P117 charger has dual chemistry, meaning that it works with both Ryobi’s lithium-ion batteries, such as the P107 and NiCad batteries. This charger is compatible with several Ryobi power tool batteries such as the P100, P105, P108, and P101. This saves you money since you do not have to make single purchases for your different batteries.
Users enjoy a temperature indicator that helps in keeping the battery safe. You have to understand that batteries, whether lithium-ion or NiCad, have given temperature requirements that must be adhered to.
It would be best to leave your battery to cool off when it gets too hot. The temperature indicator helps you know the current temperature recording of your battery so that you can respond swiftly. Overheating a battery is a killer for its performance and will inevitably destroy it over time. The P117 battery charger will help maintain and prolong your battery’s life, and this will save you money in the long run. This brings us nicely on to the next feature!
Related reading: Ryobi P197 Lithium-Ion Battery Review | A Superior Upgrade?
This is one of the main selling points of the P117 standalone charger. It is fully equipped with a maintenance mode that senses when your battery is fully charged. The charger responds by keeping the batteries conditioned for improved battery life and performance. Also, you get to save on power as this technology cuts off any additional power load to your battery after it is fully charged. Imagine saving on money, energy, and battery life!
You can mount your charger on the wall if you wish, thanks to the available wall mounting features. You will notice screw brackets at the back of the unit used to keep it on the wall.
Weight and dimension
This product has lightweight. It weighs only 1.2 pounds, which is great for maneuverability. This also means that you will have an easy time mounting it on the wall if you choose to. On the other hand, it measures 7.7*5.3*3.1 inches, which should not take up much of your space.
This product has an 18v rating.
Ryobi P117 Pros
Here are some of the positive sides of the product that we established based on customer feedback:
- It is lightweight and easily portable- At only 1.2 pounds, this is one of the lightest chargers you will ever lay your hands on.
- Fantastic customer service- Users have applauded the customer service, with experts reached over the phone instead of writing emails and waiting for hours for a response.
- Fast charging- You do not have to wait for long to give your battery a full charge. Some users have noted that it only takes thirty minutes to power their batteries fully.
- Offers improved battery life- The IntelliPoint technology does wonders to your battery. It cushions your battery against overcharge, which is known to cause damage and thus interfere with the battery’s operation.
- It has a range of indicators- This product has a charge and temperature indicator, which drastically improves your battery power. You will also get to know if there is something wrong with the charge uptake.
Ryobi P117 Cons
- It is not durable- Many customers have complained that this battery charger does not meet their expectations regarding durability. You should not, therefore, expect to use yours for ages as they get spoilt relay fast.
- Issues with claiming warranty- Users have complained of being denied warranty cover during defects. Ryobi only covers the product if obtained from an authorized store or dealer, which locks out several buyers who may have a problem with the product.
Out of these two cons, the most reported is the short durability of the charger. Some customers only used their purchases for six months before they stopped working.
Ryobi P118 Charger Review
Just like the first product, this is also an 18V charger for different Ryobi batteries. It is the standard Ryobi battery charger kit that comes with their One+ system. Most of these features are similar to the first product. However, we will still take a look for the sake of comparison.
Just like the P117, this product also works with both Ryobi Lithium-Ion and Ni-Cd batteries. This is quite convenient as you can use it to charge a range of batteries for your Ryobi tools.
Weight and dimension
This product is also pretty light. It weighs only 1.19 pounds, which should give you the level of flexibility you need as you can quickly move the product from one place to the other. It measures 7.7*5.3*3.1, which takes up less space. If you need a compact option, then this is it.
You can have your charger positioned anywhere in your workshop. It comes with keyholes strategically located at the bottom to enable mounting. Therefore, whether you want the charger on the wall or underneath the work table, that is up to you.
This product comes with a LED charging indicator that should help you monitor the charging process of your battery. This is useful if you need to know your battery status because you can anticipate the amount of time left before you return to your work on a full charge.
This product is compatible with all Ryobi and One plus cordless tools.
Ryobi P118 Pros
Here are some of the positive sides of this product that we noticed:
- It is highly portable– This is attributed to its weight and size. Weighing only 1.19 pounds, you can quickly move this product from place to place. It is also relatively more minor, and therefore, won’t be hard to relocate.
- It is flexible– This charger comes with mounting features, allowing you to position it wherever you want in your store. Also, given the weight and size, getting it on an elevated surface should be the least of your concerns.
- It is compatible with a range of devices– This product works with several devices. You can use it for any Ryobi product or any belonging to the One+ lineup. This is what you need when looking for a charger that can serve several of the Ryobi machines you have at home.
- It comes with a warranty– Ryobi offers a 3-year limited warranty when you purchase the P118, which should be a motivating factor. However, always remember to buy from authorized stores, or you may not enjoy the cover.
Ryobi P118 Cons
The opposing sides of this device are similar to the first. Most customers have complained of similar things.
- This product is not as durable as you would expect. This is highlighted in the customer reviews under the product. A number have complained that the charger stopped working after a shorter period.
- Warranty issues. Most owners have been turned down when claiming their warranties for failure to buy the product from authorized dealers.
Also, ensure that you check your item description if you are an online shopper since many people have reported getting the wrong items. Some have ended up with refurbs.
Differences Between Ryobi P117 and P118 Battery Chargers
Most of the features in these two products are similar. However, even with the striking similarity, there still exist some notable differences. Here are they:
These two products have unique features. However, the Ryobi P117 has a more impressive catalog as compared to its counterpart. It has a charging gauge, temperature indicator, and IntelliPort technology, giving it an edge over the P118. The P118 only has the LED charging indicator as the only notable feature. Therefore, when pitting these two against each other, the P117 has more features than the P118.
The performance of any tool usually is closely tied to its features. The Ryobi P117 has many more features than the P118, performs better. Some of its features make it faster, convenient, and more reliable. It even takes a shorter time to charge your batteries.
Owing to the many features, the P117 is usually more expensive compared to the P118. Therefore, if you are shopping on a budget, the P118 should be your go-to option. It charges batteries properly and beats most chargers in its category.
However, if you are willing to spend on a charger, get the P117 and enjoy the added features. The price difference between the two models is quite negligible, and with the additional battery, maintenance features the P117 offers, you will save money in the long term. Buying a new Lithium-ion battery will be way more expensive than the price difference between the two models.
Given that these are two of the most popular battery chargers in the market, customers have a lot to say. Some users noted that the Ryobi P117 impressed them, even though they hated Ryobi products! Others also pointed out that the P117 improved their battery efficiency and that it exceeded their expectations. However, they also complained that the charger worked well initially, only to malfunction in the end.
The Ryobi P118 also has its fair share of reviews, and several users were delighted with it. They noted that it works well for different battery types and comes at an affordable price. It has fewer negative reviews than the P117, with most viewers only complaining about its durability. However, that seems to be a drawback with most Ryobi products and not just the chargers.
If you own any Ryobi cordless tools, then owning a decent battery charger is a top priority. All battery cells degrade over time, and, unfortunately, you can speed this up by using a poor-quality charger. While the Ryobi P117 is slightly more expensive as a standalone purchase, it has features that will look after and prolong your battery life. As we mentioned in our review, buying a new battery will be way more expensive than the cost difference between the P117 and P118.
The Ryobi P117 will also charge your Ryobi battery quicker and use less power in doing so, and therefore we highly recommend you opt for the P117.
Here are some other articles you may like:
Here are our favorite Ryobi batteries
CLICK any image to see Ratings & Reviews on Amazon
- 7 Best Ceiling Paints | Reviews & Buying Guide - September 24, 2021
- How to Clean an Airless Paint Sprayer | 6 Easy Steps - September 23, 2021
- 7 Best Professional Airless Paint Sprayers & Buyers Guide - September 23, 2021